Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Lessons in Earth School

 
I was only five years old. It was the first day of school. I did not know the teacher or any of the other children. Mrs. Stinson asked each one of us to say our names and to say what our fathers did for work. I listened carefully: “Andrea Hoadley. My father is an engineer. Majorie Law. My father is a doctor. Brian Moriarty. My father has a store.” It did not take me long to realize that I did not know what my father did, but I knew enough to make something up that sounded like all the other fathers’ professions. So I said, “Donna Ireland. My father works in an office.” Mrs. Stinson looked at me with disdain. “He does no such thing, young lady. It says here that he is a machinist!”

I distinctly remember the feeling of heat rising up through my chest and into my face. The closest place I could find to hide was in the small desk that was in front of me. I bent over and pushed my face into the opening as far as I could. I had been embarrassed and humiliated in the very first hour of my very first day of school. 

On that day I learned two things: I was accountable to tell the truth. And, I learned that I was not in the same “class” as most of the other children. My family was blue collar, not white collar.

Earth School starts when we are born. Being on the path is exactly like being in first grade. How you take the lesson makes all the difference in the world. If you use the lesson for self-deprecation, by turning it against yourself, you will grow a shameful self. If you take the lesson and become angry or frustrated with it, and turn it against others, you will grow a blameful self. Shame and blame are useless. You cannot progress if you indulge in either of these. Knowing this is the key that opens the door to inner freedom. Those two lessons immediately gave me an understanding of life that I did not previously have.

Even though I felt humiliation, I transformed this lesson into honesty and into the acceptance of who I am, by not trying to be like all the others. All of the outer circumstances of life that create the tests, challenges and trials, have only one real function: to grow and strengthen our consciousness. If these lessons are not rejected or resisted, a great well of perseverance and wisdom is born. A hunger and thirst for greater consciousness is inspired. Stand steady and open, in both your successes and failures. Learn how to take everything and turn it into your benefit. The lessons become the rich and fertile fabric that we weave into strong wools and soft velvets. Learn how to become an alchemist and turn lead into gold.

 Examine me, O Lord, and prove me; try my reins and heart.

For thy loving kindness is before mine eyes: and I have walked in thy truth. (Psalm 26:2-3)

(February 2008)
 
Maresha's next blog will be published January 21. 


Messages of Light is published by the Sanctuary of Universal Light on Snow Dragon Mountain in Meredith, New Hampshire. www.snowdragonsanctuary.com.

 
 


 

No comments: