Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Our Commitments Are Varied And They Matter

I have commitments to take good care of my pets; I have a commitment to my husband to be a beautiful partner and to uphold the Absolute with him as we go through life together. I do the best I can every day with these commitments. I feel so blessed that I was able to care for my mother Mary in my home at the end of her life.  I never felt that it was a burden because I knew I was fulfilling a contract to help. She had asked me a long time ago not to put her in a nursing home, and I told her, “I never will.” And believe me, there were times when I wanted her to go into a home and times when all she wanted to do was get out of here, somewhere else, anywhere else. But something greater kept us always coming back around. I kept surrendering, she kept surrendering, and my husband kept surrendering, into more and more beauty to fulfill the commitment.

Something happens inside of us when we fulfill a commitment; something gets stronger. Some hole gets filled in with more light, and our awareness of what we are really doing here is deepened.

When you fulfill your commitments, you give yourself the very thing you are looking for. But what you are looking for is never found through the easy or familiar route. Always take the harder way, “the road less traveled,” however life presents it. We give up the golden key, and we do not even know that we are giving it up when we take the comfortable route. It may be comfortable in the short run, but in the long run, on the level of the Soul, we miss something.

For instance, what if you have never, on some level, cared for someone who is dying? What if you have never been close to that or helped someone go through that portal? Death is something then that you haven’t worked with: What is death, what is life? Where do I go, what is going on here? We all face that same portal. By being close to birth, by being intimate in our relationships, and by being close to death, we stay whole.


Can you endure the cracking open of your heart when you let love in, so that you are completely exposed and all that light and love is experienced? Can you handle that? Because that is what people avoid even though that is what they are looking for. It is a paradox. People avoid the intimacy, they avoid the commitment, they avoid the hardship of relationship—any relationship—when relationship is actually what holds the essence.