Friday, December 18, 2015

Fanning the Flame of Your Desire



If you desire to know God, and that desire is pure, you must find a way to fan that flame. When you do, your heart creates the connection that is always there and always waiting. It’s always there. You don’t have to wait to see if it’s going to happen. It is happening in every moment; it is happening as we speak.

All that you’re waiting for is to see how much this connection means to you. How much do you want it? Is this your heart’s desire? Your desire has to be aligned with a passionate intention that is part of your own Soul. The Soulful self is the one who knows the bliss, who lives in the bliss, and is the bliss.

You can do all the meditation and all the spiritual practices and never change a thing. You have to bring something to that meditation, you have to bring something to that spiritual practice, and that something is your heart and soul.
Years ago I was attending satsang at Kripalu. At night there would be 400 people there with Gurudev on the harmonium and other players on other instruments. People would be going crazy! And I would be thinking—I don’t get it. Then one day Gurudev said, If you hold back, you will have a held-back experience. And then I got it. I was going in and holding back. When I went in again, I closed my eyes and let the energy take me.

Do the same thing with your practices. Go in there and surrender to the energy. Don’t analyze it:  “Do I feel OK? Do I feel anything at all? What is someone else feeling?” None of that matters. Just go in.

There are many, many practices that can bring us to developing our inner channel of light. We are so crusty and so hard that sometimes it is difficult to feel that we can ever get over ourselves. But we can, we really can. Tapas is igniting the yogic fire, which is the light of God, and bringing it in through our practice so that the fire burns up all resistance. The light knows what the light is doing. All you have to do is let the light in.